Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The 3rd And The Mortal - Tears Laid In Earth



Today I feel like posting this album, The 3rd And The Mortal's debut album, Tears Laid In Earth.
This band formed in 1992, in Trondheim, Norway. Notably, one of the founding members was the gorgeous and amazing Kari Rueslåtten, who is today a famous pop singer in Norway, and who I will be posting later on.
This is the band that started it all. I think it's safe to assume that most of the average readers of this blog have at the very least heard of bands like The Gathering, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Epica and Theatre of Tragedy. All of those bands, and more, owe a lot to these guys.

The 3rd And The Mortal started out playing a form of doom metal that used distorted guitars and heavy drumming with clean guitars and Kari's beatiful voice.
They would later become more and more experimental.

I won't rant about this album. In fact, I don't think it's an amazing piece, although it has some pretty nice atmospheres, and excellent vocal work. What can I say? I'm a big fan of Ms. Rueslåtten, even though I'm not 100% sure how to pronounce her last name.
I would recommend this album to anyone who has any interest in metal history, particularly regarding all these famle-fronted bands, to hardcore fans of Kari, and to people looking for slower, darker stuff that's not quite the typical Doom.

The 3rd And The Mortal - Tears Laid In Earth

Tracklist:

1. Vandring
2. Why So Lonely
3. Atupoéma
4. Death-Hymn
5. Shaman
6. Trial of Past
7. Lengsel
8. Salva Me
9. Song
10. In Mist Shrouded
11. Oceana


EDIT: It has come to my attention that, for some bizarre reason, I posted this album missing one track... or rather, substituting one track for another in this band's following EP with another singer, a song called From The Depth of Memories... it's a great song, and I like it better than the one it substituted, but for the sake of doing things right, I'll be correcting this mistake and sharing said EP in the following days.

No comments:

Post a Comment