Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters




This band is Ved Buens Ende, which means "by the end of the bow", in reference to Bifröst, the mythological burning rainbow bridge that connects Midgard and Asgard. The band formed in 1994, disbanded in '97, got together again in 2006 with plans to record a new album and called it quits again in early 2007 without taking their plans into action.
This is the only album they managed to record, although there's a demo too, which was recently re-released with bonus tracks, and which I'll be posting later.

This is rather obscure, although this band's small and scattered following seems pretty hardcore to me. Indeed, I'm a very big fan of the very little work they managed to put out.
I'll have to say... this is one of those albums I post where I have to warn you that this isn't for everyone. I got into this from the moment I hit "Play" the first time, but I understand many people have had a very hard time getting into this before becoming fanatics.
This album is... odd. Some would describe it as complex, atmospheric, doom-ish, jazzy, obscure metal with very basic black metal influences here and there. I don't know if I agree with that, but I'll agree that it's complex... very much so.
I'll come out with a cliché again and say that you'd have to listen to this.

I guess the best I can do is say that I consider this to be post-black metal, that I think it's silly that some people call it avant-garde despite the weirdness, and that if you're into black metal, post-black metal, the not-quite-"progressive" complex music and/or the weird, this is probably if interest to you. If not, it's very unlikely you'll find something here.


Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters

Tracklist:

1. I Sang For The Swans
2. You, That May Wither
3. It's Magic
4. Den Saakaldte
5. Carrier of Wounds
6. Coiled In Wings
7. Autumn Leaves
8. Remembrance Of Things Past
9. To Swarm Deserted Away

No comments:

Post a Comment